a. Targeted Interventions (TI)Sahodaran offers HIV/AIDS prevention and care services through TI program, with the support from Tamil Nadu State AIDS Control Society. Its services include:
• Identifying and reaching out to community members at ‘hot spots’ frequented by MSM for cruising and sex work;
• Distributing condoms, lube, and educating them about safe sex practices both individually and in groups;
• Providing access to confidential STD testing services, along with preliminary diagnosis;
• Introducing them to community-friendly counsellors for pre-test and post-test counselling;
• Referring them to community-friendly healthcare providers for treatment and care (for HIV/AIDS and other STDs);
• Linking HIV positive individuals with ART dispensaries;
• Educating community members about ART adherence, monitoring, and nutrition.
• In addition to HIV/AIDS prevention and care, annual health camps are conducted at Sahodaran Unit I and II to provide free eye, dental and insulin tests for community members etc.,
b.Drop In CentersAt Sahodaran we know that isolation, shame and stigma are some of the biggest obstacles for MSM trying to practice more health-seeking behaviors. To remedy this situation, as part of our Targeted Interventions we operate a Drop-In Center six days a week where community members can come to socialize, seek help during crises, or participate in ongoing events. Every afternoon, our office is a riot of colour and laughter as kothis from across the city to utilize the community kitchen to facilitate the prayer club and free noon meal as well as to seek advice regarding personal crises, practice for an upcoming dance performance or simply rest and watch a movie. Our Drop-In Center owes its vibrancy to the fact that we are completely managed and peopled by MSM community members. This makes our office a safe space where MSM can find relief from the stigma they encounter in the outside world.
Sahodaran has a crisis support team that works 24 hours a day all days of the year. The main purpose of the crisis team is to ensure that we are able to address issues and challenges faced by the members of the LGBT/MSM and related community in Chennai smoothly and with a sense of urgency.